Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Learning to Lope

For tomorrow's lesson, I have an adult who wants to learn to lope. My lesson mare, Starlet, is great for this. She is a little western pleasure loper, very true and very smooth, if she goes slow. Starlet listens to my cues, so I have the rider on the lunge line, and we both cue Starlet for the lope. The rider gives the body cues, and I give my subtle cues with my voice and body. This gives the rider confidence in knowing how to execute the lope.

How will I use Centered Riding, and CR exercises? I will ground and center myself first. Then I will have the rider do some exercises while on the lunge line. Before asking for the lope departure, I'll have the rider breathe, center and have clear intent on asking for the lope. I'll let you know tomorrow how the morning goes.

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!