Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Walking to build endurance

Monday, Jan. 16, 2012

Walking is good for the horse and also for the rider.  Yesterday, hubby and I walked 3.25 miles in 1 hour 15 min.  Our max speed was 4.3 mph.  Sometimes, it's hard to get a QH to walk out that fast.  But now I know if I can walk that fast, my horse better pick up speed at the walk!

Now, how many calories do you burn while walking?  For the mileage, at a moderate fast pace, I burned 224 calories and hubby burned 345 calories, based on our weights.  It doesn't seem quit fair that I walked the same and burned less calories??? (321 calories at another source that I goggled for both our weights).

From yesterday, it takes burning 3500 calories to lose a pound.  We burned 100 calories in 10 minutes on the eliptical machine.  Today, I worked 15 minutes, burning 150 calories.  I would need to use the machine 50 minutes for 7 days to burn off 1 pound.  I'm also adding in some weight machines, which should burn off some calories.  My goal is to work 30-40 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes on the weights, and while watching my food intake, see if I can lost a pound a week. 

I just read where it's not safe to lose more than 2 # a week.  Slow and steady is better.  It sounds like I'm conditioning a horse!

2 comments:

R.M. said...

Horses walk faster when they're going in the direction they want to go; towards the barn, the trailer, etc.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

That is for sure. Turn them towards the barn and other horses and they can go from 3 mph to 5 mph in a heartbeat! LOL

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!