Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Beautiful Late Spring Night



What a lovely evening. I took a cup of coffee outside to lounge on the chair and look at photos posted on Sunday Stills. As I finished looking at everyone’s websites and their photos, I laid my head back on the chair and just took in the scenery and night noises.


The doves are cooing. One was calling from behind the barn to my right and another one was answering from the pine trees on my left.

The horses are quietly moving around in their lots. The night air is slightly cooler now, and I see the younger ones wanting to play. They move towards the grain feeders and are checking for any leftovers. The young horses are growing into nice looking young adults, feeling out nicely.


I hear some other birds now. We have lots of robins and a few cardinals. Some are singing and others are cackling. Other years, I have seen blue jays but I wonder where they are this year. And just last week, I started seeing a bird with some yellow on it, maybe a finch?

We have some woodpeckers in the trees to the west of the house, near the outdoor arena. I haven’t heard them since the storms started last Thursday. We moved the 2 bred mares to the outdoor arena to separate them from the other horses. They will have the luxury of going out to the trees every day, and enjoying that lush grass. We should have babies within the next 2 weeks.



The 2 mares, Starlet and Goldie, are 17 now, and they know how to be good moms. They stand quiet next to each other, eating their grain and hay. They walk through the gate and aren’t easily excited. There is no bucking and kicking and fast running, as I’m sure they are too fat to want to do that anyways.



I’m going to enjoy these 2 mares and babies this summer. The mares just seem so peaceful this time around. I’m hoping the babies are just as quiet and calm. I know I’m going to spend more time desensitizing them. And rubbing on them. And leading them around. And just playing with them.



The sun is setting . A streak of bright white is shining between the clouds. It shouldn’t be long before I start to see some color on the horizon.

The ring necks are in the newly planted corn field. I hear one or 2 calling. Then I heard them again, but soon after, I heard a coyote. He sounds awfully close, just in the field to the west of the house. Hubby went out to take a look.


The sun has set further into the western sky. Some light orange and yellow starting to show on the horizon. I’m going to have to pay attention to the nights when we get a lot of color in the sunsets. I don’t think tonight is going to be one of those nights.


The doves are on the same side of me now, somewhere in the trees behind the barn. Some are by the garden and some are down by the horses. What a peaceful way to end the evening, listening to their soothing tones. Cool enough to sit outside. And warm enough to be in shorts.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I felt like I was right there with you! What a wonderful eveing. I love porch sitting. Its one thing I miss so much in the colder months!
Your expecting mares have a lovely place to spend these last days of waiting. I'm sure they enjoy the calm of that place and not being around the pushy members of their herd. Thank you for sharing your evening with me!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Sigh....your post filled with all your beautiful descriptive words was so calming and real. I felt like I was right beside you taking it all in, too.

The photos of the horses especially made me smile. :)
I hope you will share lots of photos of the babies when they arrive.

~Lisa

Horses Are Our Lives said...

Thanks, Sarah and Lisa. I need to take advantage of sitting outside and relaxing. It was a very calming end of my day.

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!