Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Start with a Blank Sheet


First, I have to say, I can't believe it's been a week since I blogged! Geez, where does the time go? I've been gone for a week and time is flying by.

anyways... to continue the Book post....

"Start with a blank sheet and fill it up." Another quote from the Book, "The Soul of a Horse". Joe Camp wants a relationship with his horses. He wants his horses to chose him. He wants himself and his horse to work together to build a relationship.

How would we start our blank sheet? How would you start now to build a relationship with your horse? Where would you start?

My blank sheet is in front of me (that would be the blank page of the computer screen with the title "Building a relationship with my horse".

I'm starting with a blank sheet, a clean slate, a new beginning to how I think and how I train. I want the horse to chose me. That only comes from the horse seeing you as a leader (and not a predator.)

Number 1, start in the round pen, building that trust and that leadership, having the horse chose me.
#1. Becoming a better leader.

what is your #1 and how will you get there. Think ahead to HOW you will fill up your blank page.
Right now, my last number, and maybe yours, could be doing that endurance ride, or that intense trail ride, or that day long trail ride, or that day in the arena playing games with your horse. Because what better way to know you have a true partner is when you do something together, and you move together, and you work towards your dream together.

For me, # 1 was to start in the round pen, building that trust and thatleadership,having the horse chose me.

#1. Becoming a better leader.

#2 After the horse chooses me and bonds with me, then I'll work on the horse"walking" with me in all directions. Front, back, sideways, etc.I think I will get the horse to do more manuevers by thinking of it as "fun"time and not "work" time.

#3 Saddling, Bridling, Ground Driving - everything I do, I'll continue, but onceagain, I'll think fun maneuvers. Keep the horse thinking. Do many smallermaneuvers, circles, serpentines, etc and keep it fun and interesting for thehorse.

I'll take the pressure off by doing less collection work in the beginning tomore "just riding" work/fun time.

By the time I leave #3, I should have a horse that is riding well, ridingforward, eagerly looking for the next thing, ready for the trail and the realworld. I'm heading to the bottom of the Blank Sheet.

As I am that confident leader for that horse, I want to develop that confidenthorse underneath me.

What are your #3 and #4? How will you get to the end of your Blank Sheet?
Start with 1, think of a plan, and fill in #2 and #3, and even to the end.

What do you want to start with and where do you want to go?

What is your #1 and how will you work on it, your #2 and #3?B

"Embrace the Journey!"

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!