Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Wonderful Fall Day of Riding

Camp Moses is beautiful!




I rode with Tammy, from Horsetrailriders.com.

We had a perfect ride. I rode Shaggy and she rode Windy.


I decided to take Shaggy because I have missed riding a trotting horse. I knew Tammy would want to trot, and trot fast, and lope. And Shaggy would give me that type of ride. Thanks, tv, for the wonderful 3 hour ride. I told Tom you were risky to ride with though, as I came back with 1 bruise and 2 long scratches! LOL



Shaggy did absolutely beautiful for his first trail ride. Even though he is 7, he sat on the back burner, and remained a quiet, confident gelding. Nothing seems to bother him, and I am enjoying the ride that he is giving me. I gave him today off.



I did get a ride in the fields today. Over 6 miles on Savannah. I rode her up and down the terraces about a dozen times. Here in eastern Nebraska, that's my version of preparing for riding hills. Then we hit the harvested corn and bean fields.



I took the time to stop and enjoy the scenery. Trees are just starting to change. Today was a warm, 74 degree day. The Nebraska wind was blowing though.

Then I did something that I have been wanting to do for a while. I haven't ridden my stud, Duke, in a long time. He stood wonderfully while I groomed, saddled and bridled him. I lunged him in the round pen for a few minutes, and was surprise that he had a few bucks in him. Granted, it's been awhile, but he has never bucked, and it was good to see that they were only half-hearted bucks. I took him to the outside arena, and lunged him for about 15 more minutes, waiting until he was going around quiet.



Tom had to work, and I called him to see when he was coming home and told him I was going to work Duke. I thought it would be a good idea for someone to know! :-)))



Duke stood quiet at the mounting block, and it was like we were back in show mode. Oh my goodness, now I remember why I have always loved riding him and now I remember why I want to keep riding him. His lope is awesome. Powerful and deep, and a joy to ride. He stops on a dime. He moves wonderfully off my legs. I just love riding a horse I trained. It seems that no matter how long it has been, we, the horse and I, always remember. I can't wait to ride Duke tomorrow. He makes me want to go out to ride! It has been awhile since I have been this excited, and Duke makes me excited to ride him. That is a good feeling. I guess today has been my best ride this year.



I thought Tom would get home before I was done, and I rode for an hour, but he got home after I was unsaddled. I'm hoping to ride tomorrow, and I want him to take pics!



I know... things happen for a reason. I have been wanting to ride Duke for a long time. 3 years ago, I was going to geld him and ride him. But I decided to breed and have babies. Then this year I thought about riding him, but decided to breed again. But now, I really want to geld him, and ride him. He is an absolute joy to ride. I understand him. I know what makes him tick. He can get mad when he is pushed the wrong way, and I understand that. I don’t want him to be mad, I want him to enjoy the ride. As much or as more as I did. Maybe now is the time.



My camera takes video, and I hope to get that on the blog tomorrow. And I will take pics. He is a handsome guy!

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!