Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Friday, October 1, 2010

Peter Campbell Clinic Day 1

First, Happy Birthday, Sara! I can not believe that 28 years has passed since I held my baby girl for the first time. I do miss those years of when you were little, and it was just us playing together. But you know the feeling, because now you are doing the same things with Makenzie. Have a fantastic day!




I am almost too tired to post. I think the excitement of participating in the clinic, along with 7 hours of clinic time, has me almost too tired to move. And this is from a person who rides a lot and who is pretty active outside.



I think my tiredness come from anticipation of what will happen at the clinic. I also took 2 horses. One was a 2 year old that hasn’t left the place until today. I think the tiredness comes from total concentration of what we were working on.



Duster is my 2 year old. He is extremely bully and pushy. A big puppy dog who is gentle, but had a mother who was herd mare, at least for the last 5 years. Duster isn’t scared of the older geldings. He just walks among them and pushes into between them at the feeders.



He had a major attitude adjustment today. We worked on moving hips and shoulders. And moving the body away from us. Duster didn’t want to stop, or turn, or move where he was suppose to. I was starting to sweat. Peter came over and asked if he could work with him. I said of course, Peter wanted a YES, and Duster went to school. He graduated with more manners.



During the afternoon session, I rode Shaggy. We did a LOT of walk, trot, extended trot, walk, stop transitions. Shaggy got lighter and lighter. We worked in pairs and trotted and loped circles around our partner. The main emphasis was on stopping light and giving to the bit.



I hope to be able to write more over the next 3 days. I think I’ll sleep good tonight!

2 comments:

Tammy Vasa said...

You sound tired, but inspired. Anxious to hear more! Are you staying at CR?

Horses Are Our Lives said...

no, I loaded up the horses and came home each night. It's only 45 min, once I'm on the way. I figured that I would rather have my young horses in a lot from 5 pm-7 am instead of standing in a stall. Tomorrow (Mon) is the last day, then I hope to post more indepth on Tues. I'm too brain dead to think! lol

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!