Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Friday, October 15, 2010

Perfect Weather

October 14, 2010



These past 3 weeks have been gorgeous. 70 to 80’s. Sunny days with a light breeze.



Last month, as I rode in the arenas, I was feeling claustrophobic. In the outdoors. How is that possible?



Because I was bored. I needed to accomplish more with my riding and with my horses. I needed to add miles, not circles. I needed to be able to move out in a straight line instead of riding in circles, reverses, and crisscrossing the arena.



I could have been going down the road, but I really don’t like to do that. 2 reasons. Mainly for safety. I think traffic is too fast. But I also don’t like road riding for the well being of my horse and his/her legs. I think the hard packed road has little give for long trotting. If you can ride the soft shoulders, than it is better on their legs.



Finally, crops were harvested and I have been in the fields since. With only flat land here, I have to take advantage of the terraces to do hill work! Isn’t that just pathetic? Lol But when I put the horses up and down those terraces a few times, they start huffing, so at least it’s getting their heart pumping. The steeper terraces also teach the horses to walk slower down the hills.



I just love the top of the terraces. With just rolling hills here, and they are barely rolling, I still have a sense of being on top of the world. I just love trotting and loping those fields.



I hope to get pictures posted soon. But later today, I am riding with my friend, Tammy, from horsetrailriders.com. One of my favorite places to ride is Camp Moses Merrill. Located about 35 miles northwest of me, it has rolling hills, steep hills, and TREES! With the changing colors, today’s ride should be beautiful!

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!