Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dressage Lesson



I had my first dressage lesson yesterday.   After taking Monday off, and feeling jet lag most of that day after the Horse Fair, I was ready to ride.  It had been 6 days since I rode Shaggy, with all the time to set up and tear down the vendor booth, then unpack at home.

This was my first dressage lesson with Dara.  I have had only 2 previous dressage lessons, and that was early last fall.  I told Dara I was a blank slate.

I ride the trails and ride in competitive trail rides.  Dressage is about training and correct movement.

We worked on Shaggy softening in the jaw.  We worked on bending correctly while walking and trotting a circle.  We worked on leg yielding out before transitions.  And we worked on positive pressure. 

Shaggy needs to learn to lean into the bit without leaning on me.  That's a fine line between too heavy and not enough pressure.  I'm learning the language and more will come with each lesson.

I have a group dressage lesson Friday and hope to be able to clarify this info!

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!