Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Friday, November 5, 2010

Balancing the Body: Neutral Pelvis

I don't think we can balance the lower part of our body if we aren't sitting correctly. We need to find our Neutral Pelvis, and sit on our seat bones.

The easiest way to do this is to lift one leg up and bring it up to the pommel. Slowly drop it and pick up the stirrup/iron. Repeat with the other leg.

IF your horse is very calm, or if you have someone holding the horse, you can do both legs at one time, first putting one leg on the pommel, then the other. Slowly drop each leg and pick up stirrups/irons.

Another way to find your neutral pelvis is to rock your pelvis forward and backward, each time rocking a little less and find that neutral area. I like todo this first, then lift my leg up and down, on and off the pommel.

Once you can do this, and walk your horse, remaining comfortable in this position, than we can balance your legs and feet. If it gets uncomfortable sitting on your seat bones, rock a little way, back or forward, and don't sit where your seat bones are sore. You have a 1/4-1/2" area where your seat bones can be. It doesn't seem like much, but it is.

As your sitting on your chair, trying these 2 exercises now. Be comfortable with how to find your Neutral Pelvis before you're on your horse!

Let me know how this feels for you!

4 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wonderful, helpful post. I know right away when I'm not on my neutral seatbones because I feel awkwardly perched in the saddle and my lower back is arched into my belly. It feels stiff and uncomfortable. Amazing to think I used to ride that way. I think I got the idea that was correct by watching certain dressage riders who had their buttocks sticking way out, almost past their cantle. I used to think they looked so cute. lol!
Now I know, after seeing the correct way that dressage riders are supposed to sit, that was not right. :)

~Lisa

Horses Are Our Lives said...

LOL, I would NEVER want to see my butt stick out past the cantle! lol I do really want to add dressage lessons, but time, travel and money! The Trail riding competitions and local clinics take enough $, but I hope to find a local dressage trainer to take a few lessons next spring.

I can't do the "wrong" way anymore, because then my body really hurts. But if we sit too relaxed and just down in the seat, then we are too heavy in the saddle. That area of sitting on the seat bones, and learning to sit relaxed, is just right. Now, I struggle with not holding enough leg on the horse because I have found that "kid carefree balance". You know, where kids can flop all over and stay on. I'm not as flexible as that anymore, but my legs are moving "too freely!"
B

gretchen said...

i do this exercise all the time now. thanks so much for teaching it to me. i taught it to froo last week (she was luaghing at me doing it and I said try it and she was like, oh my gosh, it works!) thanks for teaching me!

Horses Are Our Lives said...

Gretchen, that's awesome! Thanks for sharing the exercises and getting other people excited about the Centered Riding exercises!

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!