Pages

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider

Training the Mind of the Horse and Rider
Click on Logo (Original artwork by Lanie Frick for Messick Quarter Horses. Not permitted to be copied)

Friday, July 8, 2011

EHV-1 Final Situation Report as of June 22, 2011

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service

I was gone when this last report came out:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/nahss/equine/ehv/ehv_2011_final_sitrep_062311.pdf

There are no new cases and no new premises affected. Disease spread in connection with this incident has been contained and no further situation reports will be generated.

• Suspect and confirmed cases are reported to be under voluntary or state quarantine.

• Known exposed horses are reported to be under either voluntary or state quarantine.

• A total of 90 confirmed EHV-1 or EHM cases were reported in 10 states (AZ, CA, CO, ID, NM, NV, OK, OR, UT, WA)

• Of the 90 confirmed EHV/EHM cases, 54 cases were horses that were at the Ogden, Utah event.

• There are 13 horses associated with this incident that are dead or have been euthanized.

• There are 0 newly identified premises with suspect or confirmed cases identified this reporting period.

• With no new cases and no new affected premises, disease spread in connection with this incident has been contained. No further situation reports will be generated.

421 horses exposed at the show.

Primary Exposed Horses (at Ogden, UT event)
# EHV-1 Confirmed Cases 28 (40 # EHV-1 Suspect Cases)
# EHM Confirmed Cases 26 (6 # EHM Suspect Cases)
# Dead or Euthanized Suspect or Confirmed Cases 10

Secondary and Tertiary Exposed Horses
# EHV-1 Confirmed Cases 29 (22 # EHV-1 Suspect Cases)
# EHM Confirmed Cases 7 (4 # EHM Suspect Cases)
# Dead or Euthanized Suspect or Confirmed Cases 3

Total:
# EHV-1 Confirmed Cases 57
# EHM Confirmed Cases 33
# Dead or Euthanized Suspect or Confirmed Cases 13

# Exposed premises 242
# Exposed premises with suspect or confirmed EHV/EHM cases 62 (# New premises this reporting period 0)
# Exposed premises with no suspect or confirmed cases 180

I know I didn't haul much through the time period that this outbreak had been in the news. With hindsight, would I have done anything differently? NO! I just didn't want to take the chance that the deadly virus would have found it's way to Nebraska and 1 of my horses would have been one of the unlucky 3 that were later exposed, and died.

Maybe overkill (shouldn't have used that word) on my part, but I guess I was being more pessimistic than I want to be. I'm an optimist. Atleast, I want to be. I want to see the good in things. And in people. And in horses.

The fear of death got the better of me. But now, I can put that fear to rest and start hauling my horses more. The knowledge of this deadly virus will stay with me for a long time. And I will always dilgently vaccinate, OR not vaccinate for a specific problem after making a carefully, educational decision.

No comments:

"TRAINING THE MIND OF THE HORSE AND RIDER"

Messick Quarter Horses

Check out my website at: http://www.messickquarterhorses.com/

Lessons, Training and Horse Sales
E-mail me at messickquarterhorses@yahoo.com

Messick Tack & Feed

Messick Tack & Feed
website will be up soon! Click on logo to see current specials!